- Get a pad of paper and pen/pencil
- Be in a relaxed mode
- Write down a starter word, i.e., barrel
- Ask yourself what this word means to you intellectually…write it down
- Ask yourself for a personal experience regarding this word and one that you can recall…write it down
- Think of some other words and repeat Step 4 & 5 for each one, i.e., computer, beach, money, marriage
- This is a lesson in objectivity and subjectivity for self-awareness and communication.
- Every single person in the world will have different feelings that stem from their own personal perceptions.
- It’s a valuable tool when you want to communicate your own views or see someone else’s as a way of working with others rather than against them.
- It also helps you to recognize a communication breakdown and learn to rephrase or reiterate the statement.